At Happy Feet Pedorthics we recommend the use of compression socks for flying. The main reason is to reduce chance of developing a deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). A DVT is a blood clot that usually forms in the deep veins of the lower leg or arm which can block the venous return. A DVT may cause leg pain or swelling, but can also present no symptoms.
When you are preparing for your flight for holidays or business at Happy Feet Pedorthics we recommend you wear and pack some compression socks for flying. A DVT is caused by a combination of two out of three underlying conditions:
- Slow or sluggish blood flow through a major vein
- A tendency for a person’s blood to clot quickly, a condition that sometimes is hereditary
- Irritation, inflammation or damage of the lining surface of the vein.
Most of us, in getting on with our lives, know things about our health and we can become a little blazae that “she’ll be right mate!”
The risk factors and the many reasons why one should wear compression socks for flying are:
- History of previous DVT or superficial venous thrombosis
- Prolonged sitting or restricted mobility such as long distance travel
- Age over 40
- Surgery (especially orthopaedic) or major injury
- Prolonged bed rest or immobility
- High blood pressure
- Heart attack or stroke
- Congestive heart failure
- Chronic respiratory failure
- Excessive weight
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Varicose veins
- High oestrogen levels such as in pregnancy or when using birth control pills
- Some forms of cancer
Be kind to yourself and wear the compression socks for flying as the risk factors are cumulative – the more you have, the greater your risk of a DVT so best to take the prevention route.
Wearing compression socks for flying is one tip to prevent a DVT. Other tips are:
- Exercise regularly, including stretching and leg movement when traveling
- Quit smoking
- Maintain a normal body weight
- Keep a healthy diet
It is easy to wear compression socks for flying so at Happy Feet Pedorthics we say just do it! So ring and make a time for a fitting for your compression socks for flying and have a safer trip!