Lymphoedema is the result of accumulation of fluid and other elements in the body. It is a chronic condition that is not curable at present, but may be alleviated by appropriate management. If not treated it can progress and become difficult to manage. Management can include wearing compression stockings for lymphoedema.
Lymphoedema can be classified as primary or secondary. Primary lymphoedema is thought to be the result of a congenital abnormality of the lymph conducting system. Secondary or acquired lymphoedema results from damage to the lymphatic vessels and/or lymph nodes, or from functional deficiency. Infections from insect bites, serious wounds or burns can cause lymphoedema when they damage or destroy lymphatics. Any type of surgery, serious injury, or radiation for cancer treatment can also cause the onset of the disease. It may also be the result of high output failure of the lymphatic circulation. At Happy Feet Pedorthics we see people who have primary or secondary lymphoedema and hence wear compression stockings for lymphoedema.
How to minimize the risk of developing lymphoedema?
- ake good care of skin and nails
- Follow a balanced diet, maintaining your optimal body weight
- Avoid tight underwear, clothing, watches and jewellery
- Wear comfortable supportive shoes, which may well need to be fitted by a pedorthist
- Undertake exercise/movement and limb elevation
- Avoid the risk of injury
- Avoid exposure to extreme cold or heat
- Use high factor sunscreen and insect repellent
- Use mosquito nets in lymphatic filariasis endemic areas
- Wear compression stockings for lymphoedema if prescribed or recommended
Compression stockings for lymphoedema are available in a choice of colours and are made from different materials. The stockings and socks are available in a range of sizes and can be custom made. At Happy Feet Pedorthics we encourage our clients to consistently wear their compression stockings for lymphoedema. Ring and make a time for a measure and fit of compression stockings for lymphoedema at Happy Feet Pedorthics.